The Scottish National Portrait Gallery in Edinburgh is inside the final stages of a ?18.six million overhaul which will increase gallery space by around 60 % and enhance annual visitor numbers from 200,000 to 300,000.

Created by Architect, Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, the gallery was first opened in 1889. Located on a hill overlooking Edinburgh, the developing cut very a swath with its grand, neo-gothic facades of red sandstone dwarfing the street below. But a hundred years on along with the gallery’s fortunes have changed considerably. Issues became so bad that by the mid-1990s the gallery was around the brink of closure.

Something had to be done.

In 2009 renovation work began using the aim in the project to restore and reveal considerably of Anderson’s work inside the developing and to display many more functions of art than were previously on show. The improvement of the gallery as a first-class visitor knowledge was also paramount to National Galleries of Scotland because the original gallery was a present for the Scottish individuals.

In the authentic building, motion about galleries was very restricted so the project architects, Page/Park, decided to transform circulation routes and boost access. This has been achieved with the design of a bespoke 48-person capability hydraulically powered glass lift operating via the core in the gallery. Lerch Bates has worked with Page/Park since the early style conception to bring a lift that is not simply functional in terms of moving people and artifacts but, as it has three sides and also the roof entirely created from glass, also provides the ideal viewpoint as it moves gradually through the gallery.

Learn more on Hydraulic Lift or Lift consultants.


Sponsored Links

Author:

This author has published 4 articles so far. More info about the author is coming soon.